The Institutional Programs Office (formerly called the CFI/BCKDF Resource Office) provides administrative and strategic support to researchers pursuing major federal, provincial and regional infrastructure awards.
These awards are primarily offered at the federal level by the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI), at the provincial level by the BC Knowledge Development Fund (BCKDF) and regionally by Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD).
The Insitutional Programs Office offers a variety of services to the UBC research community, including:
- Internal review of funding applications to CFI, BCKDF and WD;
- Post-award workshops to successful applicants describing funding agencies guidelines and the process of getting funding;
- Financial reporting on behalf of grant holders to funding agencies;
- Support for addressing audit issues on behalf of grant holders; and
- Financial and strategic support to selected units within the VP Research & International portfolio.
The Instituional Programs Office is located on the Vancouver campus in the CIRS Building.
CFI/BCKDF: Federal and Provincial Infrastructure Funding
CFI funds research infrastructure including state-of-the-art equipment, buildings, laboratories, and databases required to conduct research. CFI awards typically fund up to 40% of a project’s infrastructure costs. Visit the CFI website to find out more about CFI’s programs (www.innovation.ca).
CFI applicants at UBC must also apply to the British Columbia Knowledge Development Fund, which can provide matching funds of up to 40% of the CFI project's budget.
Project Leaders are then responsible for raising the remaining 20% from eligible contributors including institutional funds, trust funds, or foundations; Federal departments and agencies (but not Tri-council - CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC); Provincial and Municipal departments and agencies; private sector firms and corporations; voluntary organizations; and individuals.
UBC’s appointed delegate to CFI is Dr. Leonard Foster, who works closely with researchers in the CFI faculties to disseminate current information and develop initiatives to provide support for research and scholarship.
- View or download UBC's Institutional Allocation Plan for CFI infrastructure operating funds.
- View or download UBC's Strategic Research Summary for CFI infrastructure operating funds (this document is for CFI reporting purposes only and should not be confused with the UBC Research Strategy).
WD: Funding for Western Canada
A department of the Government of Canada, Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) promotes the development and diversification of the economy of Western Canada and advances the interests of the West in national economic policy.
This mandate is delivered primarily through grants and contributions programs that enable the department to contribute strongly to the productivity and competitiveness of the West. This is achieved through collaboration with partners including the private sector, other levels of government, academic and financial institutions, as well as research centres, to maximize investment in Western Canada and to create alternative sources of funding for commercial ventures.